Contenido principal

Provisional Replacement Certificate (CPS) Application (for representatives) < Go back

This service enables you to request, on behalf of another person and through the electronic register, a Provisional Replacement Certificate (CPS) for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), both for the holder of healthcare entitlements and their beneficiaries

About this procedure

Who it is for

People who, on behalf of another person meeting the requirements established in Spanish law and EU Social Security Regulations, wish to request a Provisional Replacement Certificate (CPS) for their European Health Card (EHIC), both for the card holder and the beneficiaries.

What you can do

  • Submit an application via the Electronic Register for a Provisional Replacement Certificate.
  • Download and attach an application form.
  • Attach documentation.

What you need to do it

  • Fill in and attach the application form and the standardised representation form, which can be found in the accompanying documents section, or any legally valid document that is proof of the representation.
  • Have software that allows you to fill in and save the application form to then be attached.

Please note

If you are logging in with a Username + Password (permanent Cl@ve), in order to guarantee a higher level of security, you will be sent a code via SMS to the mobile number that you provided at the time of registration. You must enter this code in order to sign the communication in the electronic register.

The processing province is the one to which you wish to submit your application.

Your connection has a time limit. Therefore, if your session times out while filling in the application form you have to restart the session and complete the items pending.

The total size of the documents to be attached must not exceed 10 Mb.

Countries where the CPS is valid: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, United Kingdom, Czechia, Romania, Sweden and Switzerland.

The CPS is the personal and non-transferable document that proves an individual's right to receive any healthcare that may be required, from a medical point of view, during a temporary stay in the indicated States, taking into account the nature of the healthcare services and length of the stay, in accordance with the legislation of the country that the individual is visiting, regardless of whether the visit is for tourism, professional or educational reasons.

The CPS is not valid when the purpose of the trip is to receive medical treatment, in which case it is necessary for the National Social Security Institute (INSS), or the Social Marine Institute (ISM), to issue the corresponding form after receiving a favourable report from the Health Service. Neither will it be valid if you change your residence to the territory of a different member State.

The CPS offers the same coverage as the EHIC. In certain cases, you will have to pay a fixed amount or percentage of the healthcare expenses, in line with the conditions applicable to residents in the State to which you are travelling. These amounts are not reimbursable.

For more information please visit

The CPS is valid for the period indicated on the document (it is issued for a maximum of 90 days from the start date) and its use, during the valid period, is subject to the holder continuing to meet the requirements for entitlement to said document. Otherwise, expenses incurred may be recovered as undue benefits, in accordance with Article 76 of Regulation (EC) 883/04.

Before travelling to any of the above countries, make sure that the period of validity of the CPS includes the planned return date.

Next steps

Once the process has been completed, you will receive a “proof of receipt” in PDF format.

If you do not receive the confirmation message, or if you receive an error or failed sending message, you should resubmit the application at another time or use other channels.

The INSS will send the Provisional Replacement Certificate to the home address of the interested person, as long as the requirements for its issue are met.

To access this service check you have the necessary technical requirements.

Direct access to procedures

Complementary Content